home     sightings     words     music     podcast     images     journal     forum     contact

Monday, July 22, 2013

Russian Journal 2013 - Day 14




Day 14 - Moscow stay over.

Not much to put into words about today. We rose late, still feeling weary from the previous day.

We ate breakfast and prepared ourselves for the drive to the family country house.

On the way there Vladimir wanted us to see the progress that's been made to the recently acquired town house, located just on the outskirts if Moscow (about a 30 min drive from the centre). It's on a brand new houses estate in surrounded by a forest setting but close enough to the city to be an easy alternative to having a datcha located way out in the middle if nowhere. The work on the interior fittings in the house has been on-going now for well over a year. Builders have changed hands several times. The house itself has three stories, with a total of five bedrooms, three small bathrooms, a large lounge, medium sized kitchen and a small back garden.

It's got a very modern forward looking feel, I've never seen so many spot lights in one house. On the walls and built into the ceilings. I think Vladimir will need to keep a stock pile of spare bulbs. The rooms all sport fitted cabinets and wardrobes. At the moment the kitchen is just being fitted.

The ETA on completion is sometime during the winter. It should make a hell of a difference to all the family. It will allow them all, three generations to comfortably live under one roof. To not have to be under each's feet.

It will make caring for my wife's grandfather a lot easier as he will have his own room with his carer.

The setting of the estate is pretty plush. Parks for the kids, a lake and on site shops. At the end of Main Street (where the house is located) there is a plush fountain. Now, not every street can say it has that.

After giving our blessing to the house we climbed into the car and headed for the datcha.

Normally at this time of year in Moscow the weather is very hot and sunny. But, uncharacteristically this year, things have been a lot wetter and colder. This is ironic of course as the UK is having a bit of a heat wave at the moment. So, I think we picked the right year to go south for a couple of weeks and at least we had the sun one way or another.

We hit yet another traffic jam on the way to the country. It has to be said that for driving a car in Russia you need an infinite amount of patience. Unfortunately this seems to be lacking in most drivers as the liberal use of the horn is a constant. In fact I've seen normal driving practices get horned for no apparent reason. I guess it's a nervous psychological habit, an itch that has to bee scratched as it were.

We arrive at the country house. It's drizzling. The sky is grey and stormy. My wife is bitterly disappointed at this. She has a love for this place which I don't really understand but even she dislikes it here in the rain. Everything becomes muddy, damp and tiresome. And trying to entertain a small boy when he can't get out and ride his bike or play will be difficult in the next couple of weeks.

We re-acquaint ourselves with the place. Ira's mums ducks, the family hound, a full breed husky dog called Wonder. The two cats. And, it seems an old friend. A friend which I thought I would never again have to meet!

Yes. The dreaded outdoor toilet!!! The indoor fitted one, had become blocked, meaning a visit to the devils hut us necessary.

Luckily for Max he's allowed to use the potty but not for me. I still sometimes have nightmares about that hole in the ground. The first few years I visited the datcha I became adept at learning to hold my breath for long periods so I didn't have to smell the awful ammonia drenched stench of that place.

Now I am out of practise, so while at the datcha (thankfully only one day) I will have to limited my visits to the toilet as much as possible. And pooing. Well, that's completely out of the question.

We eat. We drink. We play with the dog. Max rides his bike.

Max is really being spoiled by his grandparents, they have brought him a new bed. One of those shaped like a racing car, sporting four wheels. Complete with spider man bed covers to boot. He obviously loves it.

We drink and eat more. The talk turns to the new house, a discussion about the decoration. I am asked my opinion and decide to sit on the fence in order to avoid an argument. "Everything's great", I say.

I sneak off unnoticed and go to bed. Tomorrow will be another long day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home